They say it’s the most important meal of the day. They’re right. I recommend starting everyday with a 200-300 calorie breakfast. Something light, but still gets the metabolism moving and is a good start to your day. I’ve always hated breakfast. I’m rarely hungry before 11 am and it was a constant war growing up with my parents. So, I started expanding my breakfast horizons to find smaller, but still nutritional meals to kick start my day!
Always coffee. This is the one thing I crave the moment I wake. If you make poor choices with the creamers you use in coffee it can be an unhealthy way to start your day. Now, if you’re the type to drink half coffee half vanilla creamer like I once was you need to convert your ways slowly. Try substituting some creamer with low fat milk. If you can eventually use only low fat milk or almond milk congrats, you’ve won! I recommend this sweetened vanilla almond milk. It is sweetened with vanilla, so still gives you the sense you’re drinking coffee creamer but it’s much healthier!
In a Rush
If you’re like most of us, you work M-F, 9-5. Here are some quick on-the-go (ish) options for breakfast. You can enjoy these while you’re getting ready for work or during your commute.
- Banana Bread. Take the basic recipe, switch out a few ingredients and they become much healthier and you get to feel less guilty eating them! Try mixing these ingredients then baking them at 325 degrees Fahrenheit in a 9 x 5 inch pan.
- One cup of ripe smashed bananas
- One teaspoon of baking soda
- One teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup of oatmeal
- 3/4 cup of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of honey
- Protein Shake. Just throw a scoop of protein powder in a cup of almond or soy milk and ta-da! Breakfast is served.
- Smoothie. I make my smoothies very simple, which makes them quick. I throw a handful of spinach, half a banana, half a cup of frozen fruit, half a tablespoon of chia seeds and flax seeds and some water. It tastes great!
- Oatmeal is a great quick breakfast fix that is both tasty and healthy!
Go Big or Go Home
For those weekend mornings when being in the kitchen just feels right. Or maybe you’ve got a bigger appetite this morning. These are my favorite breakfast’s when I want to switch it up!
- Avocado toast. Toast = bread = carbs = oh no. Okay, so we all know to limit carbs but living without them sounds like one hangry nightmare. Worry no more! I’ve found a great healthy bread Trader Joe’s Sprouted Whole Wheat Fiber Bread is awesome! The ingredients are great so enjoy this guilty free bread! After toasting my bread I add a little butter, about a quarter of an avocado, and an over-easy egg.
- French toast. Back to the healthy bread (I swear this isn’t an ad). I dip the toast in a mix of eggs, low fat milk, and cinnamon. I use this 100% Pure Maple Syrup that is healthier than most syrups on the market. French toast is the perfect sweet treat!
- Omelet. I like my omelets simple. Two eggs scrambled, a small handful of spinach, and sausage. Some times I throw in some onions to mix it up a little. But this dish is both tasty and healthy!
- Yogurt Parfait. My favorite yogurt is FAGE Fat-Free Plain Greek Yogurt. Topped with granola that can be found at Trader Joe’s and some fruit and you’ve got a light delicious breakfast! For an extra sweet parfait you drizzle the top with some organic honey.
And there you have it. I hope you found some good breakfast ideas that you use! Of course there are many, many other great breakfast ideas which I love to see you comment your favorite down below!